Grid Modernization &
Grid Modernization and Distributed Energy Resource (DER) Integration
As the sources of electrical energy include an increasing mix of renewable assets, such as wind and solar, energy providers are driven to find innovative solutions to efficiently manage an increasingly complex and interconnected network or smart grid. This often involves implementing new technologies and equipment to further automate, monitor, and control the flow of power based on reliability and economic and environmental considerations. The primary challenge associated with these endeavors is the transformation of raw data from geographically distributed assets into meaningful information that can be used to respond to changing conditions with minimal human intervention. A smart grid is the end result of these technology deployments. The information obtained from implementing a smart grid network can serve multiple stakeholders for multiple purposes. Smart grid information can help providers determine pricing structures, moving from flat rates to usage-based rates, for example. Additionally, a smart grid network can be deployed to allow power consumers the opportunity to monitor their rates and adjust or schedule peak usage accordingly. One fundamental goal of a smart grid system is to establish the means to economically and dynamically provide power that is reliable and efficient by operating at peak capacity using sustainable methods. The EPE team offers the knowledge, expertise, and experience required to plan and implement distribution system designs that integrate the latest emerging smart grid technology. Supporting these unique capabilities are software tools developed by EPE engineers and energy market experts. Our software tools allow our clients to jointly analyze transmission and distribution systems and make informed decisions based on real-time and historical market conditions, as well as current and future energy demands. Trust Electric Power Engineers with grid modernization and DER integration engineering services.
We tailor our services to ensure your project’s success, and we consider ourselves an extension of your team.
Distribution, Grid Modernization, & DER Services
- Arc-Flash Hazard Analysis
- Construction Work Plans
- Large Power Load Studies
- DER Interconnection Studies
- Motor Start Analysis
- Interconnection Site Review Screening
- Sectionalizing Studies
- Load Forecasting Studies
- Voltage Optimization Studies
- Distribution Automation and Reliability Improvement Studies
- DER/DG Value Studies
- Electric Vehicle System Impact Studies & Planning
- System Hosting Capacity Studies and Heat Map Development
- Scenario Planning DER and EV Penetration Studies
- Non-Wires Alternative Analysis
- DER Regulatory Support
- Distribution Automation Owner’s Engineer Services
Integration of Renewable Energy in Jamaica
• Perform detailed studies to determine mitigation options for added renewable penetration to minimize outages and load shed
• Evaluate how energy storage could help minimize outages, as well as create local microgrids for distribution systems
• Determine the net effect of operation and dispatch for renewables vs. conventional generation
How can we help you?
Discuss your project with our power and energy experts.