Transmission & Distribution
Transmission & Distribution Planning and Operations
We recognize the need to update historical transmission and distribution practices to adapt to the rapidly changing grid and market. As distributed sources of electricity become more prevalent in the United States, the existing infrastructure that transmits and distributes electricity will require evaluation and upgrades to accommodate these new sources of energy. Decisions affecting the transmission and distribution networks made today will affect how power is supplied for decades to follow. Proper transmission and distribution system planning and operations taking the dynamic energy market into account is required to ensure capital projects are executed with consideration of future growth of distributed sources. An integrated approach to Transmission and Distribution is crucial for future success. The EPE team has extensive expertise in analyzing transmission and distribution systems with emphasis on system reliability and grid modernization.
Our engineers provide customers with detailed technical studies that ensure reliable planning and operation of the grid. This includes assessing the impacts of integrating new energy resources, adoption of electric vehicles, modernizing existing infrastructure, servicing new types of loads, and much more. EPE utilizes an extensive suite of enterprise-based power system software, including our own proprietary software, to conduct client-specific studies. These studies are used in support of ROI analysis, budget planning, regulatory filings, and legal testimony, among others. Our expansive software tools, coupled with our engineering expertise, offer our clients an unparalleled resource to address any transmission and distribution system challenge. Trust Electric Power Engineers with Transmission & Distribution Planning.
We tailor our services to ensure your project’s success, and we consider ourselves an extension of your team.
Transmission Planning & Operations Services
- Generation Interconnection Studies
- Facility Studies
- Powerflow/Steady State Analysis
- Short Circuit Analysis
- Dynamic Stability Analysis
- Sub-Synchronous Resonance Analysis
- Reactive Power Assessment
- Non-Wire Alternatives Evaluation
- TPL Studies
- GIS Mapping
- Production Cost Modeling
- Long Term Strategic Planning
- Load Interconnection Analysis
- Dynamic Load Modeling
- ISO Working Group Support
- ISO Queue Studies
- Power Voltage (PV) Analysis
- Voltage Ride Through Testing
- Operational Support
- Material Modification Study
- Fuel Change Study
- Integrated Transmission and Distribution Planning
- Generation Interconnection Impact Studies
- Long Term Strategic Planning
- Energy Market/Congestion Analysis
- Load Impact Studies
- Electromagnetic Transients Studies
- Annual Reliability Planning Assessments
- ISO Stakeholder Representation and Support
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Mapping
- Process Enhancement and Automation
- Expert Witness and Regulatory Filing Support
- Training, Seminars, and General support
Horse Creek Wind
EPE provided engineering support with the interconnection, registration, testing, and commissioning of the 230 MW Horse Creek Wind project with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). EPE also performed a Sub-Synchronous Oscillation (SSO) analysis to determine if the proposed 230 MW Horse Creek Wind project could become radially connected to a series compensated transmission line under specific contingency conditions and in turn experience SSO disturbances causing risk to the project or to the ERCOT grid.
How can we help you?
Discuss your project with our power and energy experts.